I recently joked that “Over Land Over Sea poems for those seeking refuge” was taking over my life (in a good way). Since the publication day launch on 1 December 2015, there’s been:
- A second launch event in Leicester during the Human Rights Arts and Film Festival (7 December 2015)
- A Nottingham launch at Five Leaves Bookshop in January 2016 where it was confirmed the anthology is on target to raise at least £3000.
- Radio interview with Dulcie Dixon of BBC Radio Leicester
- Invitation to Shindig on 18 January where Jane Commane of Nine Arches Press kindly donated three bundles of Nine Arches’ books to raffle on the night. The proceeds of the raffle were donated to “Over Land Over Sea”.
- Along with raising funds, “Over Land Over Sea” is doing a crucial job in raising awareness, with recent articles in the Morning Star and a feature at the Platforma website.
- 25 February 2016 8pm Attenborough Arts (Leicester University, Lancaster Road, Leicester) organised by the Leicester Migration Network which will feature readings from the anthology.
- 12 March 2016 States of Independence, book fair organised by Five Leaves held at De Montfort University. The book fair takes place from 10 am to 4 pm and entry is free.
- 1 August 2016 Poetry Cafe (22 Betterton Street London WC2H 9BX) from 7.30pm joint event with Exiled Writers Ink.
- There are also plans for events during the summer in Leicester.
It has been amazing seeing this idea grow from a crowdfunding project to reading through all the submitted poems and having several opportunities to hear some of the contributors read their poems. “Over Land Over Sea poems for those seeking refuge” is available from Five Leaves and proceeds will go to the registered charities Medecins Sans Frontieres, Leicester City of Sanctuary and Nottingham Refugee Forum.